Monday, January 18, 2010

Welcome to the blog!

Hi, everyone! My name is Val, and I've been living with a mild case of Crohn's disease now for nearly 12 years. I was diagnosed one year out of college, when I had abcesses that just wouldn't go away.

For those of you who don't know what Crohn's disease is, it's an auto-immune disease that affects the entire gastro-intestinal system. The official definition is that it's an inflammation of the gastro-intestinal system - and it can affect you anywhere from the mouth to the anus. It's not a pretty disease. It's not fun. And it's definitely not politically correct, or even very polite. And it's hell if you like to eat.

I love to eat. I've only loved to cook in the past few years, as I've gotten more and more irritated by the fact that I can't eat a lot of the food out there. I'm allergic to high fructose corn syrup, I can't deal with onions in large quantities, and it seems like my stomach randomly decides that it can't handle something else. Nuts. Corn. Raw food. Potatoes. And next week, it will be something else.

If you look, you can find all sorts of recipes for diabetics, and cancer patients, and heart patients, but not for Crohn's patients. We're an odd bunch - the disease is VERY individual, and that whole "Well, I can't eat it this week, but maybe next week" thing is hard to cook for. So I started messing with recipes. And then I decided to share. I'm also trying to lose weight, so I'm looking for healthy recipes that won't send me into the bathroom every 10 minutes.

I won't post every day. I've a full-time day job, I'm a novelist by night, and I'm going to school for paralegal studies. Luckily, my hubby is a saint and we don't have any kids, or I'd be certifiably insane! But I do cook a lot on the weekends, for the week, and so most of my posts will be on Saturdays and Sundays.

Comment away. Share links. Share recipes. I've got a fairly decent library of cookbooks, but I'm always looking for more. Share stories! And most of all, have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment